I can’t tell you the last time I wore a pencil skirt. Or thought about buying a pencil skirt. Or even considered making one. It just wasn’t on my list. Being a girl with a bit of extra around the middle, pencil skirts just aren’t something I think of being very flattering. Mostly because every time I try to make them work in the department stores, I feel more like a bratwurst than a confident, smart lady who’s about to make some decisions while looking amazing. They are ALWAYS the wrong…everything. Or when they do fit, they make me feel like a frump. No one starts the day thinking, I wonder what’s the most frumpy thing I could wear today?
Enter The A-Frame skirt from Blueprints for Sewing. The package this pattern came in was enough for me to order. I’m a self-proclaimed pattern hoarder, and even if I never made it, I would add this one to my collection. It’s printed on beautiful stock and the outside is more of a folder so you can keep your traced pieces neatly along with the original printed pattern.
Of course I was going to make one though. I decided to cut the size I based on my measurements. Then I let the traced and cut pattern pieces sit on my cutting table for about a month before I got around to sewing them up this past weekend. I started a new job and sewing just hasn’t been as easy to do. When I sewed up the pieces, I ended up having to take about 2 inches off the waist and hips. Since I cut a bigger size, I should have also shortened the pattern, but I ended up just shortening at the hem instead. The skirt probably isn’t exactly like it should look if I followed the very clear alteration directions it comes with but I don’t think anyone can really tell.
I retraced the seam lines and pinned, then sewed along the pinned line to correct the fit.
A view of the front: The possibilities for color blocking on this skirt are endless. I used a bit of vintage upholstery fabric for the center that I only had about a yard of for the center, and a thin stretch denim I picked up ages ago at the Britex Remnant sale.
Here’s one of the finished product! And my flip-flop. Someday I’ll figure out how to take better selfies.
This skirt is going to be made again. It came together in about an hour after everything was cut out and traced. Super simple and super flattering, if I do say so myself.
Thanks, Blueprints for Sewing!